Promoting All Genres of Independent Film
Thank you for your interest in the Doc Sunback Film Festival in Mulvane, Kansas on June 13th, 14th, 15th, & 16th, in 2019. The following is a list of rules for those who would like to enter:
All films from anywhere in the world will be considered for entry & all films will be screened by at least 3 screeners.
• Best Kansas Films or Kansas prize winning films must be directed by current or former residents of the State of Kansas & proof of residency must be provided, i.e. Kansas I.D., Kansas Driver’s License, etc.
• All filmmakers who had films selected for entry in last year’s film festival will receive a free entry for 1 film that must be submitted before February 1, 2019.
• Early submission will be from October 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018. Non-student films must be submitted with a $15 submission fee or receive a fee waiver. Student films will be submitted free of charge during this time period.
• Regular submission will be from January 1, 2019 to February 15th, 2019. Unless a waiver is authorized non-student films must be submitted with a $20 submission fee. Student films must be submitted with a $5 submission fee or receive a fee waiver.
• Late submission will be from February 16th, 2019 to March 15, 2019. Non-student films must be submitted with a $50 submission fee or receive a fee waiver. Student films must be submitted with a $20 fee or receive a fee waiver.
• Student Films must be submitted with a copy of a current valid Student Identification Card. This image can be transmitted via e-mail.
• Films that contain nudity, visual violence, content of a highly sexual nature, or extensive use of profanity might be labeled inappropriate for small children in our program listings.
• Films must be submitted on through filmfreeway.com. Please test before sending. All films with non-English dialogue or script must contain English subtitles in the film. (Film credits are not required to be listed in English.) We suggest file types H.264 or MP4. To ensure quality playback, data files must NOT be larger than 8GB. Anything larger will not be guaranteed screen time even if it was initially selected for entry. (Films submitted with data files larger than 8GB often have issues with playback even on dedicated computers and professional grade equipment.)
• Films must have been completed after January 1, 2013. Films must be available for screening during the 2019 Doc Sunback Film Festival.
• Narrative and Documentary films with U.S. distribution (obtained prior to being selected for Doc Sunback Film Festival screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Selection for screening will be determined no later than one month prior to the festival. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition but may be available for screening.
• We know that other film festivals make decisions based on premiere status. We do not. We want an audience for your film and would like to provide opportunities for filmmaker feedback and as such are not interested in where your film has screened previously. However we reserve the right to ban filmmakers who, submit a film, then pull it after being selected for entry and interrupt our programming efforts because of a desire to please other film festivals. Our completion dates are more generous in an attempt to allow filmmakers more opportunities to screen at more festivals. We support and respect filmmakers, please in turn respect our programming schedules & volunteers' time.
• Please do not submit your film until it is complete.
• Please include an e-mail if your film was SHOT IN KANSAS (include locations).
• Once an entry payment has been processed we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed, the account holder may be subject to any fees.
• We will send laurels & certificates via e-mail to the address provided. In order to receive cash prizes filmmakers must be able to accept American checks from American banks and must be present or have a designated representative to receive prizes on their behalf on the evening of the awards program. The Doc Sunback Film Festival does not make delivery of prizes and awards to foreign addresses. All prizes will be distributed at the awards program during the festival.
• Film submission does NOT guarantee entry.
• We reserve the right to change these rules at any time & at our discretion.
Send your synopsis and, if desired, a cover letter introducing you/your film. DVDs will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry in regular mail.